Nine essential DIY tasks to tackle this autumn
August 23, 2018
Roof Stores has compiled a checklist of the essential tasks homeowners should be tackling each season.
The firm says that as the summer turns to autumn, this is the best time to prep for the upcoming cooler weather of winter.
The main thing to take care of internally in the autumn is your loft insulation, making sure that it’s at least 270mm deep to comply with building regulations.
Externally, with Autumn comes the inevitable falling leaves which should be cleared frequently to ensure they don’t cause blockages to your drains. These months are also the best time to ensure your outside pipes and taps are properly insulated and switched off at the isolator valve to prevent issues caused by freezing temperatures.
Other essential house maintenance tips for autumn include:
• Check exterior walls for damage and address any faults to prevent water ingress over the colder months.
• Clear debris from wall junctions to prevent damp from appearing throughout autumn and winter.
• Check for any issues in foul drains by removing the inspection covers.
• Check draught-proofing around doors and windows but leave adequate ventilation elsewhere.
• Insulate interior taps in cold areas i.e. those in cupboards on external walls or in unheated rooms and outbuildings.
Roof Stores commented: "1/3 people in the UK are living with potentially dangerous faults in the home – often because they're left to develop to the point homeowners can’t afford to fix them. To avoid costly repairs – it’s important that homes are maintained with the changing seasons, as a variety of fixes are reliant on the weather as homes are vulnerable to the outside elements. Many incidents could be avoided if they are checked as the climate changes."